Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hecate

I hope my soul friend readers will leave some comments. I'd like this to be a conversation.

We have been listening to Joseph Campbell's Power of Myth series with Bill Moyers in the 80's. Last night he mentioned that our society is suffering because of a lack of myths and lack of an initiation rite for boys and girls. He pointed to all the crimes committed by young people as evidence. Maybe a purpose of my blog to bring myths back into consciousness to ease suffering. He also states that myths and dreams both come from the same source, the subconscious. I have been quite vigilant about recording my dreams lately and am looking for a way to work with them.

Sunday, I read about Hecate in Jean Shinoda Bolen's book, Goddesses in Older Women. Hecate is often pictured at the crossroads able to look in 3 directions with her 3 faces. Breast cancer has brought me to such a crossroads in my life. What do I want to do with my one wild and precious life? (Mary Oliver) I took a step over a threshold today by agreeing to help an NVC mentor with a workshop in late May. One insight that rang true to me was that there can be a time of lying fallow before it becomes clear which path to take. Also Hecate represents mid-wives and witches. Some times I feel like a witch with my interest in herbalism and flower essences. And have felt that hesitancy to let on about too much lest I be persecuted as a witch. Scholars estimate that between 100,000 and 8 million women were tortured and killed as witches in the middle ages. Hecate represents the ability to find and face the truth as she did with Demeter when Persephone disappeared. She suggested, "Let's go ask the God of the Sun. He saw it all." Bolen states, "Hecate the witness is there when you pay attention to your dreams, heed you intuitive perceptions, or listen to an inner voice. It's as if she accompanies us, holding up her torches so we can see in the dark."

Isn't this what we do for each other in NVC when we stay in the present and give empathy? Here are some Hecate questions:
What have I learned about life from my own experience? What truth do I need to face?
Do those questions resonate with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment