Monday, April 20, 2009

Jean Shinoda Bolen, M.D. inspired this blog with her book, Close to the Bone. She uses mythology to illuminate the journey of illness. Inanna, Queen of the Outerworld, decended into the Underworld, Hades, Hell whatever you want to call it to visit her sister Erishkegal, the queen of those realms. Each time she passes through one of the 7 gates, she must give up one of her items of finery that identify her as a Queen. First her headdress, then her fine necklace, bracelet, etc. For me the seven gates were different surgeries, doctor's appointments, tests, and chemotherapy appointments. I gave up my right breast, my hair, my rewarding career (temporarily!), my fancy outfits for work. I have several items purchased right before diagnosis with the tags still on them. I've lived in virtually the same pair of pants, turtleneck, and sweater for six months. Inanna is the symbol of a successful, worldly woman, protected by a man, successful in the values of the patriarchy. Through my journey of breast cancer, I met my sister, my shadow self, Erishkegal. Erishkigal is alone, not protected by the patriarch, a muttering wild-eyed crazy woman. More about her next post. Does this myth resonate with a difficulty that you have faced?

No comments:

Post a Comment